South Westerlo is a hamlet near the south town line. It was formerly known as Smith's Mills.
David Smith and his brotherThomas Smith settled in this area and were first to construct and operate grist and saw mills and second to establish with partner, Reuben Wooster, the first general store and potash business. David and Thomas' sister Susannah married Nathaniel Saxton who lived near Saratoga, New York. Their son, Thomas came to work in his uncle's store and later became a store owner himself as well as the first village postmaster and large land owner. The community chose the name Smith's Mill's after these Smith's. In 1829, when the first post office was established, the townsfolk, obsessed by religion as their brethren to the north, rejected the name Smith's Mill's and instead chose the name of South Westerlo after Eilardus Westerlo a Dutch Reformed clergyman from Albany. It is also possible that having a Smith's Corners so near Smith's Mills might have been confusing to the residents and postmaster that this may have been the reason for the name change.
This section will have the history of each business beginning from its establishment, through various ownerships and name changes. Pictures may be used provided you have authority to post them.
Hotels, Inns, Taverns, and Resorts
Sawmills and Feedmills
This section is for scenic photos and post cards of the hamlet. Photos of people and families should be posted on biography or family pages.