Saddlemire Family Burying Ground
STREET ROAD AND SADDLEMIRE ROAD, KNOX, NY
This cemetery is located on private property owned by Joseph Shahen who lives in the home nearest the cemetery. Shahen has been supportive of our efforts to restore the cemetery and generally does not object to visitors. Please notify Shahen that you want to visit the cemetery.
Driving Directions Google map
Start address: Knox, New York 12107 End address: "Saddlemire Family Cemetery" Street Rd
Start at: Knox, New York 12107
1. Head northeast on Berne Altamont Rd/NY-156 toward County Rte-252/Knox Cave Rd - 82 ft
2. Turn left at County Rte-252/Knox Cave Rd - 0.9 mi
3. Turn left at Street Rd
4. Saddlemire Lane will be on the right - 0.6 mi
5. Shehan is the first drive on the left.
6. Saddlemire Family Cemetery is to the right of the drive along the fence line.
- NANCY SADDLEMIRE - Daughter of John and Elizabeth Saddlemire
- “In memory of Nancy, daughter of John and Elizabeth Saddlemire, who died Sept. 28, 1826 (?) aged 1 year, 9 months”
- JOHN SADDLEMYER (II)
- “Died December 17, 1853, in his 89th year”
- EMILY SADDLEMIRE
- Emily, wife of John Jost Saddlemire, died Dec. 28, 1863, aged 30 years, 4 months, 10 days.
- Peaceful in thy silent slumber
- Peaceful in the grave so low
- Thou no more will join our number
- Thou no more our songs shall know
- ELIZABETH SADDLEMIRE
- In memory of Elizabeth, daughter of John and Elizabeth Saddlemire, who died Sept. 25, 1854, aged 43 years, 10 months and 10 days.
- Asleep in Jesus far from thee
- Thy kindred and their graves may be
- But there is still a blessed sleep
- From which none ever wakes to weep
- ELON SADDLEMIRE
- In memory of Elon, son of John and Elizabeth Saddlemire
Died 31 Dec. 1863 age 17
- He died in Jesus and was blest
- How sweet his slumbers are
- Released from pain and suffering
- And freed from all his cares
P. Hood, Sch.
- CHARLES SADDLEMIRE
- Died Nov. 2, 1878, aged 68 years, 4 months, 5 days.
- CHRISTINA SADDLEMIRE
- Wife of Chas Saddlemire, died April 6, 1901, aged 92 years.
- AMELIA SADDLEMIRE
- Daughter of Charles and Christina Saddlemire, died Dec. 29, 1867, aged 3 weeks and 3 days.
- JACOB H. SADDLEMIRE
- Born Aug. 23, 1826, Died April 24, 1904
- MARY ANN SADDLEMIRE
- Wife of Jacob H. Saddlemire, died March 23, 1885, aged 50 years, 2 months and 11 days.
- HIRAM SADDLEMIRE
- In memory of Hiram, son of John and Elizabeth Saddlemire, who died July 4, 1834, aged 5 years, 8 months and 13 days.
- CATHERINE ANN SADDLEMIRE
- In Memory of Catherine Ann, Daughter of John and Elizabeth Saddlemire who died Aug 2 1823 aged 24 mos.
- ELIZABETH SADDLEMIRE
- Elizabeth, wife of John Saddlemire Died March 19 1882
- Aged 90 Years 7 Mos & 17 D’s
- JOHN SADDLEMIRE
died Feb. 12, 1877, Aged 86 Years, 4 months & 10 days
- MARY SADDLEMIRE
- MARY wife of John Saddlemire, died May 10, 1857 Aged 88 years & 16 days
There are several other markers which are illegible. Also found are eight (8) Foot Markers which are small stones with only initials engraved. They are scattered around, rather than to be at the foot of the grave of the person (initials) engraved.
Gerry Saddlemire: "A few years ago I encouraged some of the family who live in the area around Knox to do a restoration at the Saddlemire Cemetery. When I finally found the site in 2000 I was appalled that it had been so seriously neglected. A small group led by the late Wayne Saddlemire of Saratoga Springs spent the time to get it cleaned up in time for a family reunion in Knox in 2001."
- The above transcriptions were made by Gerry Saddlemire in 2001.
- There is now a second transcription and photos of 16 stones posted on the New York Gravestones site.