Peckham Hollow

From Albany Hilltowns
Jump to: navigation, search

Location

Peckham Hollow was a settlement on the Willow Brook east of Ten Mile Creek in Rensselaerville.

History

Peckham Hollow was named after Peleg Peckham, its first settler. Town meetings for Rensselaerville were held at the Peckham house between 1804-1808. Lot 52 and half of Lot 53 were divided into village plots and sold to Ezra Lester, Peleg Peckham, Hezekiah Holdridge, John Van Deusen, Henry Powers, Charles Griggs, John McCrary and James Bill. Lester and Peckham had a tannery and shoe and leather business. With the failure of bark for tanning, Peckham Hollow subsided and village lots were absorbed in the farm of Lester.[1].

Notable Residents

In 1796, James Bill, Esq. was the first representative from Rensselaerville to the the New York State Legislature.[2].

Sources

  1. People Made It Happen Here, History of the Town of Rensselaerville ca. 1788-1950, Published 1977
  2. People Made It Happen Here, History of the Town of Rensselaerville ca. 1788-1950, Published 1977