Newry

From Albany Hilltowns
Jump to: navigation, search

Location

Newry is a hamlet near the south town line of Westerlo along Route 405.

History

In the early 1800's the hamlet of Newry was a thriving community that included a tannery, shoe-making shop, general store, two doctors, a Masonic lodge and many farms. The principal author of most of this enterprise was Daniel Miller, a New Jersey native who left his father's home following a quarrel with his fiancee. He also left with his father's servant who he married. The name Newry was given the area by an Irishman, a storekeeper named Burroughs, who celebrated his birthday by dispensing free rum to all corners. Burroughs later left the area returning to his home country.[1]

Churches

Schools

Historic Businesses

This section will have the history of each business beginning from its establishment, through various ownerships and name changes. Pictures may be used provided you have authority to post them.

Hotels, Inns, Taverns, and Resorts

Sawmills and Feedmills

Industry

Cemeteries

Sources

  1. "Town of Westerlo Then and Now, Bicentennial Booklet, 1976