NYS Historic Markers in Berne

From Albany Hilltowns
Jump to: navigation, search
  • 5 MILES S - E

SITE OF DIETZ MASSACRE WHERE JOHANNES DIETZ AND HIS FAMILY WERE KILLED BY TORIES AND INDIANS SEPTEMBER 1781<br.>

Location: NYS 43, .5 MI. W. OF BERNE

ESTABLISHED BY DANIEL SIMMONS IN 1825. SAID TO BE THE FIRST FACTORY IN THE UNITED STATES TO MAKE AXES FROM CAST STEEL.<br.>

Location: NYS 156, AT BERNE

LATER CALLED BERNVILLE FORTIFIED DURING THE REVOLUTION. JOHN DIETZ FAMILY MASSACRED BY INDIANS<br.>

Location: NYS 43, .5 MI. W. OF BERNE

FIRST IN TOWN OF BERNE BUILT IN 1878 AND MADE 495 POUNDS IN A SINGLE DAY<br.>

Location: NYS 156, AT BERNE

OPENED 1817 BY HENRY ENGLE<br.> Location: NYS 43, .5 MI. W. OF BERNE

  • DWELLING

BUILT ABOUT 1800 BY WILLIAM SHULTES<br.>

Location: NYS 43, AT W. BERNE
  • EARLY SETTLER

JACOB WEIDMAN, A SWISS, LOCATED ON FOXENKILL ON SITE OF BERNE VILLAGE ABOUT 1750. BUILT FIRST SAWMILL AND GRISTMILL<br.> Location: NW CORNER NYS 43 AND NYS 156 AT BERNE

  • FIRST MILL

BUILT 1750 BY JACOB WEIDMAN STOOD NEAR HERE<br.>

Location: NYS 156, AT BERNE
  • FIRST STORE

STOOD ON THIS SITE OWNED BY JOHN FISHER<br.>

Location: NYS 156, AT BERNE
  • INDIAN

STOCKADE BUILT ON SITE OF BERNE VILLAGE<br.>

Location: NYS 43, 1/4 MI. EAST OF BERNE
  • JUSTICE OF

PEACE JACOB HOCHSTRASSER WAS FIRST SUPERVISOR AND JUSTICE OF PEACE OF TOWN OF BERNE<br.>

Location: NYS 43, AT E. BERNE
  • M. E. CHURCH

ORGANIZED AT REIDSVILLE 1830 BY REVEREND ROSMAN KELLY CHURCH REPLACED IN 1841<br.>

Location: TOWN RD., AT REIDSVILLE
  • MILL SITE

FOR CARDING AND FULLING MILL BUILT AT AN EARLY DATE BY MALACHI SHIPPLE WILLIAM H. BALL AND LYMAN DWIGHT<br.>

Location: NYS 156, AT BERNE
  • PIONEER

COL. JESSE WOOD OF LONG ISLAND SETTLED HERE ABOUT 1800. SERVED IN WAR OF 1812. DIED JULY 23, 1853 AT AGE OF 83 YEARS<br.>

Location: NYS 156, .5 MI. N. OF BERNE

ORGANIZED 1763, FIRST PASTOR JOHANNES SCHUYLER 1767. OLDEST CHURCH IN COUNTY OUTSIDE OF ALBANY<br.>

Location: NYS 43, .5 MI. W. OF BERNE

ORGANIZED 1763 BY REV. JOHANNES SCHUYLER OF SCHOHARIE LOG CHURCH 1765. FRAME 1786 WHICH WAS TAKEN DOWN 1830<br.>

Location: NYS 43, AT W. BERNE
  • SCHOOLS

IN 1812 THERE WERE 21 SCHOOL DISTRICTS IN TOWN OF BERNE AND 30 THE NEXT YEAR. IN 1816 THERE WERE 1710 PUPILS IN SCHOOL<br.>

Location: NYS 43, .5 MI. W. OF BERNE

PREVIOUS TO 1828 CALLED CENTERVILLE BECAUSE IT WAS EQUI-DISTANT FROM THREE OF THE OTHER VILLAGES.<br.>

Location: CO. RD., AT S. BERNE
  • TOWN OF BERNE

FORMED MARCH 17, 1795, FROM RENSSELAERVILLE. TOWN OF KNOX TAKEN OFF IN 1822. JACOB WEIDMAN, FIRST SETTLER ABOUT 1750<br.>

Location: NYS 43 AND NYS 85, AT MALLORY CORNERS
  • WEIDMAN HOME

THE LARGEST HOUSE IN BERNE WITH TEN FIRPLACES BUILT BY PETER WEIDMAN IN 1800, STOOD ON THIS SITE<br.>

Location: NYS 43, AT BERNE

CALLED MECHANICSVILLE 1830-34 BECAUSE SO MANY MECHANICS LIVED THERE.<br.>

Location: NYS 43, AT W. BERNE
  • WILLIS' STORE

ESTABLISHED IN 1800 BY MAJOR STEPHEN WILLIS STOOD HERE. HE ALSO HAD A POTASH FACTORY, TANNERY, WHISKEY STILL, AND SHOE FACTORY.<br.>

Location: NYS 157, .5 MI. NE OF E. BERNE