Medusa

From Albany Hilltowns
Jump to: navigation, search
Main St. in Medusa ca. 1900, Hotel on left, ball room over shed was used for dances, meetings, justice court. photo from People Made It Happen Here

Location

Medusa is a hamlet of Rensselaerville in the eastern part of town along the Ten Mile Creek.

History

Medusa was settled in 1783. The first name of the hamlet was "Hall's Mills" after its first settlers Uriah Hall and his son Joshua Hall who leased from Stephen Van Rensselaer. In 1850, the village and post office named was changed to Medusa after a postal conflict with another town being called Hall's Mills[1].

There was a large fire in Medusa on May 25, 1932, aptly called the Medusa Fire.

Population

According to the U.S. Census the population of Medusa was 376 in 2000.

Early Settlers

Churches

Schools

Historic Businesses

This section will have the history of each business beginning from its establishment, through various ownerships and name changes. Pictures may be used provided you have authority to post them.

Hotels, Inns, Taverns, and Resorts

Sawmills and Feedmills

Industry

Stores

Cemeteries

Photo Gallery

This section is for scenic photos and post cards of the hamlet. Photos of people and families should be posted on biography or family pages.

Sources

  1. "Rensselaerville Historical Society," People Made It Happen Here, History of the Town of Rensselaerville ca. 1788-1950, Published 1977

External Links