Marriage & Children
Lazarus was married three times having outlived his first two wives. His first wife was Elizabeth Fanning (B. abt 1794 Berne, M. Albany County, D. 1842 Adams Basin, Monroe County, NY), whose parentage is unknown. In July 1846, Lazarus married a widow named Fannie Burrows Howard (B. 1806 Rome, NY, D. 1849 Eagle, Clinton Co, Mich), who was the daughter of Kene Burrows and Clarissa Emerson, and widow of Asa Howard. After her death, on February 16, 1851, Lazarus married for the last time to widow named Rebecca Woodman Millar (B. March 4, 1814 Pittsford, Monroe Co, NY, D. after 1882), who was the daughter of Jonathan Woodman and Polly Whitney, and widow of James B. Millar.
By his first wife Lazarus had the following children:
- Oliver Doty (B. Sept 6, 1814 Berne)
- Philo Doty (B. March 3, 1817 Cayuga Co, NY)
- Charles Doty (B. Jan 31, 1819 Sweden, Montgomery Co, NY)
- Lucy Doty Ward (B. Sweden, Montgomery Co, NY)
- Laura Doty McMillan (B. Oct 17, 1824 Sweden, Montgomery Co, NY)
- Aurilla Doty Darling (B. Sweden, Montgomery Co, NY)
By his second wife he had one child:
- Mason Doty (B. March 20, 1846 Sweden, Montgomery Co, NY)
By his third wife he had three additional children:
- Milo Doty (B. Nov 29, 1852 Eagle, Clinton County, Mich)
- Myron Doty (B. July 26, 1854 Eagle, Clinton County, Mich)
- David Doty (B. Oct 28, 1856 Eagle, Clinton County, Mich)
Lazarus Doty moved from his hometown of Berne soon after his first marriage and birth of his eldest child, Oliver Doty. At first the family relocated to Cayuga County, NY and then to Sweden, Montgomery County, NY where most of his children were born. Several of his oldest children relocated to Clinton County, Michigan in about 1839. Lazarus followed them before 1849 and he settled in Eagle. His second wife Fannie died there and he subsequently married there for the last time.
Lazarus died before his third wife. He died on July 26, 1867 in Michigan where he and several of his older children had relocated. In 1882, his third wife was still alive living in Grand Ledge, Eaton County, Michigan.
- Doty, Ethan Allen, Doty-Doten Family in America: Descendants of Edward Doty and Emigrant by the Mayflower 1620, Published by the Author, Brooklyn, NY, 1897, Googlebooks