Gifford Hollow Burying Ground

From Albany Hilltowns
Jump to: navigation, search
Photo by J. Dudley Richards, 1996

Location

The Gifford Hollow Burying Ground is on West Mountain 150 yards north of [[Partridge Run Road[[ on Gifford Hollow Road, approximately 300 yards west of the road atop a steep knoll, under a black cherry and white pine. On land that is part of the Partridge Run Wildlife Management Area, NYS DEC Region 4, Karl Parker, Sr. Wildlife Biologist.

Description

15 by 40 feet unfenced. This small, abandoned burying ground of the Furman and Gifford families is difficult to find and overgrown. There are about 30 stones, a dozen of which are readable stones. Burials 1817 - 1866. The burying ground was last cleared of brush and weed in 1996, when photographs of all readable stones were taken by J. Dudley Richards. These were made available to the BHP site thanks to Marita Gladson.

Transcription of stones

Exterior links