File:Johan Jost Deitz Barn.jpg
The Johan Jost Dietz New World Dutch Barn was built in Town of Knox about 1825 on Lot 659, a few feet from Rock Rd. at the corner of Rt. 443 (Helderberg Trail). This inside photo shows a unique feature not often seen in Dutch style barns; a double anchorbeam. The top beam measures 15 1/2" deep, 11" wide, and 25 ft. long. The lower beam is similar, but partially obscured by the added floor. Parts of latters are visible. The current owner of the barn, Steve Anderson, is in this photo. For an outside photo of this barn, see the biogaphy of Johan Jost Dietz, the builder of this barn. This 4-bay original Dutch style barn measures 48 ft. square; square being a common trait of most Dutch barns when first built. A dairy cow section with overhead hay storage was added to the back SE gable wall in later years. Wagon doors were once at the center of the SE gable wall . A second set of wagon doors were also once at the north side wall, but have been removed as well. Three martin holes in the NW peak keep out mice from the granary. The inner anchorbeams measure 13" deep x 11 1/2 " wide for no. 1 from the west end of the barn; 13 1/2"d. x 10 1/2" w. for no.2, and 15 1/2"d. x 11" w. for top beam of the double AB. A forth anchorbeam in the NW gable wall of the barn is only slightly smaller. The center threshing aisle measured 25ft. including the two columns at each end of the bents (H-frames). The two side aisles for animals were ea. 10 1/2 ft. Square anchorbeam tenons extend through the columns, but do not protrude. They are pinned by two oak pegs through the columns. Windows, a concrete first floor, metal stanchions, silos, and the diary barn extention are not original. The barn granary room with wooden flooring, and bins for seed storage is original. One piece purlin plates of white pine that support the rafters, and much barn plank siding is original.Beams, planking, and braces were sawed, probably at the sawmill known to be on the farm at the Dietz Kill that flows into the Foxenkill. Col. Dietz died in 1841. His two sons, Peter and Jacob, were living on the farm in 1825 and probably helped in the barn building near their farmhouse at Beaverdam on the Foxenkill. Source: Allan Deitz
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||09:37, 26 October 2010||2,048 × 1,536 (648 KB)||Allan F. Deitz|
- You cannot overwrite this file.