East Berne is a hamlet a few miles east of the hamlet of Berne.
Situated on the Foxenkill, this hamlet was known as Werner or Warner's Mills when the town was organized and took it's present name from the establishment of the post office in 1825. Locally East Berne was called "Philley," a name given by Elnathan Stafford, who kept a small tavern in the neighborhood in 1820, and purchased his liquors in Philadelphia. It now has a gas station, a couple of restaurants, and a hardware store.
Hotels and Taverns
- Binns' Boarding House
- Glenwood Farm - This was a boarding house for many years and later became the Glenwood Inn
- Long's Boarding House
- Overlook House - now Maple Inn
- Restseeker's Inn
- Robert's Grove
- Wagner's Hotel
- Camp Pinnacle
- Albany, Helderberg and Schoharie Railroad
- Long's Dairy
- Duke's Dairy Bar - A popular Ice Cream and Snack Bar, building still exists as a private residence
- Northrup's Garage
- Quay's Garage
- Brownell's Store
- Snyder's Garage
Photos and Postcards of the hamlet of East Berne.
1866 Beers map of hamlet of East Berne