Dormansville

From Albany Hilltowns
Jump to: navigation, search

Location

Dormansville is located three miles east of Westerlo (Chesterville) on Route 143 which was once the Coeymans and Westerlo Plank Rd.

History

Dormansville's first settler was John Gibbons in 1795. The hamlet took its name though from Jacob Dorman who built a small cabin in 1802 near the present Tan Hollow bridge. The Dormans later built a house a quarter mile south of the bridge.[1]

Early Settlers

In addition to John Gibbons, and Jacob Dorman other early settlers of Dormansville were Abraham Applebee and his brother-in-law William Ward. John Sherwood arrived in Dormansville from Westchester County about 1801. Nathan Ward, a brother of William and a soldier of the Revolution had already settled in the Dunbar Hollow area several years earlier along with William Tompkins. The Underdonk family, who came soon after 1800, settled in the Tan Hollow section where they built a farmhouse in the 1820's.[2]

Churches

Schools

Businesses

Organizations

Hotels and Taverns

Mills

Blacksmiths

Cemeteries

Photo Gallery

This section is for scenic photos and post cards of the hamlet. Photos of people and families should be posted on biography or family pages.

Sources

  1. "Town of Westerlo Then and Now, Bicentennial Booklet, 1976
  2. "Town of Westerlo Then and Now, Bicentennial Booklet, 1976

External Links