Cassidy Family - St. Peter's Hospital - Elizabeth Cassidy Cagger
St. Peter’s Hospital Albany. N. Y.
EXCERPTS FROM THE FIRST ANNUAL REPORT PUBLISHED IN 1875, COVERING THE YEARS OF OPERATION, NOVEMBER 13, 1869 THRU OCTOBER 13, 1874.
St. Peter's Hospital was founded in 1869. Mrs. Peter Cagger, with a view of establishing a lasting memorial of her husband, whose intentions to endow such a charity were cut short by his sudden death, contributed ten thousand dollars ($10,000), and Miss Mary Cagger, the daughter of Mr. Peter Cagger, contributed five thousand dollars ($5,000) for this object.
At that time, the building on the corner of Broadway and North Ferry Street, the residence of the late Stephen Van Rensselaer, which had been used for several years as St. Vincent's Orphan Asylum, was vacant in consequence of the removal of the asylum to another place, and an arrangement was made by which the building was transferred to the Sisters of Mercy, to whose patronage and care the Hospital was committed.
In the autumn of 1869 the necessary alterations and repairs of the building were made, and the Hospital was open for the reception of patients on the first day of November 1869. It contained thirty-three beds in the general wards, and two rooms for private patients. A Dispensary for out-door patients was established at the same tithe. The accommodations at this time were limited and imperfect, but the well directed zeal of the Sisters in charge made up for all deficiencies, and the institution soon acquired public confidence and favor.
Altamont Enterprise March 7, 1969
St. Peter's Hospital and Elizabeth Cassidy Cagger - Altamont Enterprise March 7, 1969