The Town Hall is located here in what was once the Upper Hotel. The same building houses the Berne Public Library. Upstairs is the Berne Museum with "ten rooms of history" operated by the Berne Historical Society. The Post Office is next door.
The Berne-Knox-Westerlo Central School is at the west end of the hamlet.
Before the Post Office was located here in the latter half of the 19th century it was called "Bernville." In the 19th and first half of the 20th century it had a number of stores, up to three hotels, several blacksmith shops, a funeral home, cabinet makers, harness makers, etc.; now it almost entirely residential.
1814 Berne fire
Berne hamlet houses
The hamlet of Berne is fortunate to have a great many historic homes and buildings. Click on Berne hamlet houses for a partial listing. Please add your contribution to the list.
- Berne School No. 1 a one room school in the in the center of the Hamlet of Berne, was closed when the central school was built in 1932.
- Berne-Knox-Westerlo Central School District was created in 1930 and the school opened in 1932.
- Woodside School a one room school located on Rock Road
- Select School, a private school in the hamlet of Berne, was organized in 1882.
- Bradt Hollow School District 17 One room school house established in 1813 Joined Berne school in 1932.
- Settle's Store
- Floretha Shop
- Hochstrasser's Store
- Deitz's Store
- Shultes and Adams Store
- Lyons and Tompkins Store
- Cheese Factory
- Doctor Deitz
- Willsey's Carpenter Shop
- Fred Willsey's
- Bassler Trucking
Hotels and Taverns in the hamlet of Berne
The hamlet of Berne was once the thriving center of a prosperous farming community. Since travel from distant farms took a long time, there were numerous hotels and inns in the hamlet so the farmers could shop and stay the night before beginning the long journey home the next day.
Photos of the hamlet of Berne