Berne - Then and Now
This page is a series of images of buildings and locations in Berne comparing and old photo with a current image of the same scene; ideally taken from the exact same spot - but then how often is life ideal?
There is a separate page for each town. This would be a great idea for a "coffee table" book! Here links to the other town pages:
Everyone is urged to contribute. Click here for "Instructions for posting Then and Now images"
Here are some more "Then" photos from various sources, including the Berne Historical Society, that might be suitable of accompanying "Now" photos. In some cases the buildings are gone, but in which case a "Now" photo of the site makes a strong statement about the loss of our heritage.
If you like this page, you might also enjoy Antique Motor Vehicles.
- Special thanks to Marty Duell for being the first to make available "Then and Now" photos for this new feature.
- Thanks to Eric Chamberlain of Knox for contributing to this page. He is taking "Now" photos in Berne, Knox, and Rensselaerville.
CLICK ON ANY IMAGE TO ENLARGE.
Brate's Hotel was located on Cass Hill Rd. at the junction with Duck Hill Road. Portions of the hotel can still be seen in the woods. The builders and operators were Charles Brate and his wife Nancy Smith Brate.
West Mountain and Huntersland
Fred Tubbs family
This is the home of the Fred Tubbs family on West Mountain. It is now part of Partridge Run State Wildlife Management Area in the vicinity of Tubbs Pond. Marty's father, Raymond J Duell, the baby in the picture was born May 1915 so picture date is about 1916.
In the second photo, Martin Duell's son Matt is standing right in front of where the house of Fred Tubb's and the well use to be. The well is still there but covered with stone. Martin says, "You won't see the well but that is were Matt is standing. If I didn't know were it was no one would fnd it. Its all trees now and flat. Way back I would sit with my feet over the foundation. The well is there but covered with rock which can be moved to see it wasn't very deep about 8 feet."
West Mountain Methodist Episcopal Church
West Mountain Methodist Episcopal Church was started early in the 19th C. The present building was built 1888.
Northrup's Garage stands abandoned and appears much like the 2008 picture. A new picture will be added soon. (Eric Chamberlain)
Rest Seeker's Inn
Rest Seeker's Inn was torn down in 2008. The wing on the right was perhaps the oldest existing building in East Berne at the time the building was torn down.
Wagner's Hotel, East Berne is now gone.
St. Mary's Catholic Church > Crosier Realty
St. Mary's of the Lake Catholic Church, constructed in 1916, was only used in the summer months when the people from below the hill filled the cottages and resorts at the lake. It was closed in 1960 when the St. Bernadette's Catholic Church was opened in the hamlet of Berne. The building was sold to the East Berne Fire Department in 1966. John and Vicki Crosier purchased it next and it became Crosier's Reality.
East Berne Garage
Going from east to west on Heldererg Trail
1136 Helderberg Trail, current home of Ralph and Jan Miller, Lot 564. The house was probably built by Christopher Zeh, with the one story wing of the house built on the left before 1854, and the main two story house with basement built between 1855 and 1865.
School > Auto repair > two car garage
Bell School was turned into Snyder's Garage owned by Ethel Mae Adams and James Conington Snyder on Rte 443 Helderberg Trail, Berne
Where have all the porches gone? long time passing.
Where have all the porches gone, long time ago
Enos Wright House
The William Winans House
The William Winans House, Helderberg Trail.
The Thomas Hayes House1603 Helderberg Trail, The Thomas Hayes House, was built ca. 1842 for him and his wife, Mary Curran, who earlier had lived on Irish Hill. This was the site of the large home of Peter Weidman, son of early settler, Jacob Weidman who original home was also on the same site.
From the Berne Historical Society
The Almerin Hubbell House
1616 Helderberg Trail (above corner Routes 156 and 443) The Almerin Hubbell House was built ca. 1800 for him and his bride, Maria Weidman, dau. of Peter Weidman who lived across the street to the south.
Where this building was, along the Foxenkill on the east side of the falls in the hamlet of Berne, is now a parking lot.
The Daniel Simmons House
Ca. 1977, from "Our Heritage"
Berne Grist Mill
Hart's Mill; photo in the collection of the Berne Historical Society
Lower Hotel > apartment building
1616 Helderberg Trail. The building to the left in the old photo was covered parking on the lower level and a community hall above for dances and theater productions. Now a parking lot. The building to the right is on across the bridge on the south side of Fox Creek. Like so many buildings in the center of the hamlet, it burned some fifty 60 or so years ago. The old hotel is now broken up into four apartments. At least it still stands.
2009, Real Estate ad photo by Zenie Gladieux, Weichert Realtors
Main St. looking south
Main Street, Berne hamlet, looking south.
Shultes and Adams Store
Mill Pond Dam
To the east on Fox Creek as you cross the bridge in the center of the hamlet.
It is almost difficult to believe this is the same historic store that was Settle's Store, one of the earliest stores in the hamlet of Berne and the only one in more or less continuous operation as a store. The upstairs was once a meeting hall. The roof has since been raised and it is now an apartment. This shows how modernization by adding picture windows to an historic building can destroy the historic look completely.
2009, Real estate ad photo by Zenie Gladieux, Weichert Realtors
Main St. looking west and north
- Main Street, Berne hamlet, looking west. Hochstrasser's Store upper left, now an apartment building.
- Main Street, Berne hamlet, looking north. The building with the Socony sign was on this side of the bridge and is now gone.
On the east side of the road at the intersection of Irish Hill Road
Hochstrasser's Store > Apartment building
World War II Honor Roll
The World War II Honor Roll in the hamlet of Berne was originally at the intersection of Helderberg Trail and Irish Hill Road in front of the building above. It was recently rebuilt at the Berne Town Park. Look at what a sorry sight the old site as become. Hopefully the new site has more landscaping then two bushes.
Hotel > Town Hall
The former Upper Hotel (Mattice Hotel) is now the Berne Town Hall.
Charles E. Deitz House
The Charles E. Deitz House was reportedly built about 1880. It is at 1659 Helderberg Trail.
The House of Dr. Deitz
1662 Helderberg Trail, the beautiful old home of Dr. Wallace E. Deitz. And look! There is Dr. Deitz, now, in his brand new car with his old wife and two dogs. Don't you just love her hat!
2007, Real estate ad photo by Zenie Gladieux, Weichert Realtors
Law Office > Select School > Fire House > Post Office > Garage
The small building as served many functions since it was built
- Law office of Edward Vincent Filkins, Esq.
- The building next became the Select School in 1882 of his daughter Carrie Fillkins.
- Berne Post Office in the 1920's. The post master from 1915 - 1928 was Clarence Haverly, husband of Carrie Filkins.
- When the Berne Volunteer Fire Company was organized in 1929 it became the first fire house
- It is now a private garage.
1928 Model T Ford truck known as the "Village Queen" in front of the first fire house
from the collection of the Berne Historical Society
Now a private garage
Photo ca. 1977; from Our Heritage
Old Fire House > Apartments
1671 Helderberg Trail, the old Berne Fire House built 1939, was sold after the new one was built on the western edge of the hamlet. The building is now an apartment house.
ca. 1977, Source: "Our Heritage"
The Jacob Ball House > site of Catholic Church
Johannes Shafer > Schoonmaker House
Current home of Jim and Maryellen Hamilton, 2216 Switzkill Road, Lot 594. Then photos are scans of photocopies provided to current owners by Cheryl (Schoonmaker) Furman who is probably the young girl in the 1966 photo.
Berne and Knox Cheese Factory
1878 the Berne and Knox Cheese Factory Association built a cheese factory nearby on land given them by Thomas J. Wood on the flats below the Hamlet of Berne. FIRST IN TOWN OF BERNE BUILT IN 1878 AND MADE 495 POUNDS IN A SINGLE DAY. On November 16, 1907 the cheese factory and fixtures were sold at public auction. Then photo courtesy of Will Osterhout. Click on the image two or three times to enlarge it. There is incredible detail. This photo was developed from a glass negative ca. 1908. It shows the building of the State Road from Berne to Knox with the Cheese Factor in the background and temporary housing for the road workers to the side of it.
Allen's Tea Room > Foxenkill Lodge
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found