Bassler, Frederick (B. Abt. 1715)
Frederick Bassler was born about 1722 in Basel canton, Switzerland, based on the assumption his first marriage was at about age 23. His parentage is unknown.
- 1749 Nov 9, at Philadelphia; Ship: (snow) "Good Intent", Captain Benjamin Boswell, from Rotterdam by way of Cowes, England, arrived with 76 Persons. Oaths administered to 26 persons, Friedrich Bassler - by signature (Strassburger, 1:426; List 145C).
- About 1755 the family migrated to what is now Knox, Albany County, New York.
Marriage and Children
Frederick was married three times.
He was married on board ship on his way to America. (so says the Landmarks of Albany, but this is unlikely if his first child was born in Switzerland by this marriage).
His first wife was Esther Thommen. He had had one known child from this marriage:
- Anna Maria Bassler b. 1746
He had a another child by his second wife:
- Frederick Bassler born 1752 at Philadelphia, PA (no evidence he was born in Philadelphia, but somewhere in PA)
His last wife was Anna Danner. Their five children were:
- 1. Maria Elisabeth Bassler, b. abt. 1756, bp. 1756 Jun 7, Schoharie Dutch Reformed Church, d/o Frederich Baasler and Anna Dannerin. Sponsors Hannes Weidman & Maria Elisabeth Wydman. Pastor John Schuyler.(Kelly, #526). She married Conrad Swart.
- 3.Hannah Anna Bassler. She married Peter Fetterly.
- Will of Friedrich Baseler.
- Last will and testament (in German) signed and dated "6ten December 1784" in "Biverdam"
- Probated March 22, 1785, Frederick's widow Anna appointed executrix on March 18, 1785.
- Bond posted by Hendrick Baslaer, farmer, and Peter Fetterly, blacksmith
- (Surrogates Office, City of New York, Wills, Vol.13, Liber 37, p493)
Frederick Bassler died Dec 1784 in what is now Knox, Albany County, NY.
Jones, Henry Z. FASG, "Even More Palatine Families: 18th century immigrants to American." Rockport, ME: Picton Press, 2002. Vol.1, p26, Friederich Basler.
Kelly, Arthur C.M., "Baptism Record of the Schoharie Reformed Church, Schoharie, NY, est 1721." Rhinebeck, NY: Kelly, 1977.
Stapleton, Euretha. "Our Heritage." Town of Berne Bicentennial Commission, Cornwallville, NY: Hope Farms Press, 1977. p5 "Bassler Family-Early Years."
Strassburger, Ralph B. LL.D. and William J. Hinke, ed., Ph.D, "Pennsylvania German Pioneers: A Publication of the Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia from 1727 to 1808", Norristown, PA: Pennsylvania German Society, 1934.
- Landmarks of Albany County, NY, Edited by Amasa J. Parker, Albany, NY