Freleigh, Alice W.
She was a lifelong homemaker.
Marriage & Children
Circa 1904, Alice moved in with Fletcher D. Tallman who was married at the time to Mary Ellen Tappan. Alice had 14 children with Fletcher who divorced Mary in 1917. The U.S. Census indicates that Fletcher and Alice were married in 1906, however, based upon the information on when his marriage ended to Mary, and the fact there is no other proof that he actually married Alice, it is believed that his relationship with Alice was a common law union. Alice and Fletcher's children were all born in Medusa:
- Jessie Tallman (Abt. 1904-Bef. 1910)
- Grace May Tallman (1905-1957)
- Edgar Lewis Tallman (1907-1953)
- Charles Freleigh Tallman (1909-1976)
- Anna Tallman (1911-1988)
- Hazel Tallman (1912-Bef. 1920)
- Frank Tallman (1913-1973)
- William Allan Tallman (1915-1982)
- Clayton Tallman (1917-1975)
- Huyler Daniel Tallman (1918-1955)
- Fletcher D. Tallman Jr. (1920-1945)
- Helen Tallman (1921-1921)
Alice and Fletcher lived in Rensselaerville until about 1925 and then moved to nearby Westerlo in the Dormansville area. Her father-in-law, Salem M. Tallman, lived with them 1900 until his death in 1917.
From The Altamont Enterprise, May 19, 1961
TALLMAN at Fuera Bush, N.Y. May 8, 1961, Alice Freleigh, wife of the late Fletcher Tallman, mother of Mrs. Elmer Van Alstyne, Mrs. Kenneth Humphrey, Ernest, Frank, William, Charles, Clayton and the late Mrs. Grace Warner, Edgar, Huyler and Fletcher Tallman Jr. Sister of Mrs. Daisy Decker, Mr s. Annie Bates, Albert and Frank Freleigh; also survived by 35 grandchildren, and 11 great grandchildren. Funeral services Thursday 2 p.m. at the Cunningham Funeral Home, Greenville. Friends may call at the funeral home Wednesday evening 7 to 9 o'clock. Interment Medusa Cemetery.
Mrs. Alice Tallman, aged 79 years, died at the home of her son, Charles Tallman, Feura Bush, Monday evening, May 8. Mrs. Tallman was born at Dormansville, August 6, 1881, daughter of the late William and Anna Carr Freleigh. Her husband, Fletcher Tallman, died in 1940.She was the mother of Mrs. Elmer Van Alsyne and Charles Tallman, Feura Bush; Ernest, Frank and William Tallman, East Berne; Mrs. Kenneth Humphrey, Delmar; Clayton Tallman, Clarksville, and the late Mrs. Grace Warner, Edgar, Huyler and Fletcher Tallman Jr.; sister of Mrs. Daisy Decker, Clarksville; Mrs. Annie Bates, Dormansville; Albert Freleigh, Feura Bush, and Frank Freleigh, Long Island. Thirty-five grandchildren and 11 great grandchildren also survive. Funeral service with Rev. Donald Boyce of the Westerlo Reformed church officiating was held May 11 at 2 p.m. at the Cunningham Funeral Home, Greenville.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Memorial Service Card of Alice Freleigh Tallman
- ↑ Letter from NYS Dept. of Health, dated May 23, 1945
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Gravestone of Alice W. Freleigh, Medusa Cemtery, Medusa, N.Y.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 U.S. Census Research
- ↑ Obituary of Alice Tallman, Published in From The Altamont Enterprise, May 19, 1961