1884 Altamont Enterprise: History of Knox
THE HISTORY OF KNOX
ITS FOUNDERS, LOCATION, AND BUSINESS ENTERPRISE
Altamont Enterprise, October 4, 1884
The town of Knox was formed from Berne in the year 1882  and has a population of 1,694. The town comprises two small villages the names of which are Knox and West Township.
West Township contains about 100 inhabitants, a post-office, two churches, (Methodist and Baptist) one hotel and store kept by Darus French. There are seven churches in the town.
The village of Knox lies near the centre of the town, and is better known as the “Street” and is located about five miles from the village of Knowersville on the old Schoharie road. The village is worth travelling a good ways to see. In olden times the "Street" was very wide being nearly 100 feet wide. The place was first settled by General Paul Todd and Andrew Brown about 100 years ago. They occupied houses at the lower end of village. The village of Knox has for the past few years made some improvements. It contains about 200 inhabitants, a post office, two churches (Methodist and Reformed) an academy and district school, two stores, two blacksmith and shoe maker shops and wheelright shop. A tannery was started about 50 years ago by Alexander Crounse. His son, Eugene, still conducts the business.
The principal industry is the manufacturing of pill boxes. The boxes are manufactured out of bass wood. The first factory was started about 60 years since Nathan Crary. His son, John G. Crary, still conducts the business. There are a number of other factories owned by Ezra Champion, Sanford Quay, William J. Cheesbro and John M. Quay. The number of boxes manufactured is about 60,000 a day which gives employment to about 60 people, principally girls who will make about 2,220 a day.
The village contains between 40 and 50 dwelling houses. Isaac C. Ogden, of New York city, has the handsomest residence in the village.
The oldest inhabitants are Gerdon Gallup, John G. Gallup, David Swart, Alexander Crounse, David Saddlemire and John G. Crary.
Other incidents of importance might be mentioned, but for want of space will have to omit them until some future time.
History of Knox
Oct. 4, 1884